A. H. Almaas challenges the prevailing non-dualistic view of realization when it considers dualistic experience as due to the individual’s delusion of separateness. By challenging this ancient and common view that the ordinary world is an illusion, he takes us to a wider view of reality, a view that recognizes nondual realization as only one way enlightenment can happen. He uses the language of quantum theory to present a view of reality that is more mysterious and indeterminate than either duality or non-duality. Our ordinary world is also acknowledged as real, but not as the only way reality can be. A new kind of freedom becomes possible, which is the freedom of view, not just of experience.
This presentation is from a teaching Almaas gave at an all-school retreat, August 2017.
Non-Duality and Interconnectedness
- True realization goes beyond simply experiencing presence, but recognizing it as our true nature and becoming one with it.
- Non-dual realization allows us to see that everything is beautiful, anomalous, and transparent, with each dimension offering a unique perspective of the expanse of our true nature.
- The mistaken view of reality is the belief that we are separate individuals, when in fact, everything is interconnected in a non-dual way.
- The non-dual view suggests that our perception of reality is clouded by layers of beliefs, ideas, and conditioning, preventing us from experiencing the true nature of things.
- From the perspective of non-dual teaching, the physical world appears ephemeral and is made out of light and love when viewed from the highest level of oneness and unity.
- The non-dual view of realization sees everything as interconnected and aware, highlighting the belief that separateness and discreteness are illusions created by the mind.
- "One of the realizations of enlightenment is that everything is enlightened."
Nature of Reality and Perception
- The view that humans are separate individuals can diminish the immensity of light, power, and goodness in the world, leaving only a cold physical reality devoid of love.
- The power of the human mind to transform reality with just one idea is truly magical and awe-inspiring.
- The view of totality in the fourth turning embraces the idea that multiple views can be true and manifest in different ways, expanding our understanding of reality.
- Total being encompasses various ways of manifestation, including non-dual realization, lack of realization, and other turnings, highlighting the complexity and diversity of existence.